Saints Abroad

Back to Article
Back to Article

Saints Abroad

Daniel Ruiz, Jackson Castillo, Chase Johnson, Kyle Cenicola, and Justin Wickstrand

Instead of spending spring break in the heat of the desert, Xavier Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors traveled all around Europe. The group of students and faculty departed on Wednesday, April 17th and returned on Friday, April 26th just in time for Stagecoach! Some of their stops included Krakow, Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Dresden, and Slovakia. During their time, Xavier Saints visited famous landmarks such as the Berlin Wall and Auschwitz.

The group was constantly traveling from location to location. Although they learned a lot about the European continent, the group bonded over their ten days together. When asked about his favorite part of the trip, Daniel Ruiz, a Senior, replied, “I loved having lunch in Krakow. We were surrounded by beautiful buildings, and just being with the group was fun in itself.” Kyle Cenicola, another Senior, agreed, “My favorite part was just exploring and spending time with people I never got to talk to before.” Most of the group agreed that just spending time in their hotels was enjoyable.

Xavier Saints pose for their first group picture

In between all the fun of the trip, the students learned more about this unfamiliar destination. Senior Reina Rover explained, “It was cool going through all the cities and trying new food, but it was also interesting to see Auschwitz.” She explained that the whole trip was upbeat, but seeing such an important site took a more serious turn. “It’s kind of weird because we read about this place in books, and learn about it in school. But seeing it in person and knowing that innocent lives were lost changes everything,” Rover explained.

Overall, the trip was full of new experiences, especially for some students who have never traveled outside the United States before. The Xavier Saints tried new foods and saw places they had only seen in books. The Europe trip was a week full of memories they will never forget.

The Senior boys make a pose.