Palm Sunday and Easter

Alexa Vega

More stories from Alexa Vega

Back to Article
Back to Article

Palm Sunday and Easter

As the liturgical season of Lent ended, people around the world prepared for Easter with Holy Week which began with Palm Sunday. Palm Sunday is also known as Passion Sunday. Passion Sunday recognizes Jesus’ final excruciating journey to his crucifixion. According to the article “Palm Sunday’ on the website www.allabout jesuschrist.org., “Palm Sunday is celebrated in all major Christian churches—Roman Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox. In many Orthodox churches, Palm Sunday is known as Entry into Jerusalem. In some countries, the graves of loved ones are decorated with palms. Since palm trees are not indigenous to colder climates, branches of sallow, willow, and yew are often used.”

Many of the traditions of Palm Sunday are still the same as those that were celebrated many centuries ago. For example, the palms are still blessed during Mass, and people will take them home afterward. In some homes, the palms are kept until the next year’s Lenten season begins. As stated in the All About Jesus Christ “Palm Sunday” article, “The traditions of Palm Sunday serve as reminders of the life-changing events of Holy Week.” Palm Sunday can also be seen as a special day to reflect on Jesus’ final week before being crucified. The article continued, “The fulfillment of the hopes of Israel that He would be their earthly king, destroying the Roman government. Instead, Jesus humbly entered Jerusalem to give His life on a cross, saving mankind from sin and death. One day, Jesus will return gloriously as a mighty warrior in battle (Revelation 19:11–16). Palm Sunday serves as a preparation of one’s heart for the agony of His Passion and the joy of His Resurrection.”

Easter is the most important time of the year for all Christians. On Easter Sunday, Jesus’s Resurrection is celebrated around the world. Many celebrate by attending Sunday Mass to remember Jesus died for our sins in order for all of us to be saved and that His Resurrection is a surety of eternal life for all believers. Although the empty tomb was a confounding reality for those who came to minister to Jesus’s body that morning–3 days after His death, the Resurrection is the cornerstone of Christian faith. The empty tomb is a matter of faith. The promise the empty tomb represents is a gift for those who believe.

As with other holidays, people celebrate Easter in different ways. Some celebrate with family parties while others celebrate by doing Easter egg hunts for kids. Xavier has a long joy-filled tradition of hosting X-Stravaganza for its extended family throughout the valley. The most anticipated event of X-Stravaganza is the Egg Hunt!

Although the whole world does not celebrate Easter, it is a recognized celebration across many cultures. And for many Christians worldwide, it is an opportunity to live out the Easter promise.

“Palm Sunday” AllAboutJesusChrist https://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/palm-sunday.htm Accessed May 3rd, 2019

About the Writer
Alexa Vega, Writer

I'm a senior this year, and I'm very to excited to work with the school Publications team. I love to take pictures and hiking. I plan to study business...