X-Stravaganza!

Back to Article
Back to Article

X-Stravaganza!

The X-Stravaganza is an annual event hosted at Xavier. This year X-Stravaganza marked its 11th anniversary on April 7th. It is an afternoon of games, food, and egg hunting exclusively for kids with special need from throughout the Coachella Valley. The children along with their parents are invited to participate in events where Xavier students accompany each child for a day of fun and amazing memories. Xavier students partner with the children and enjoy the games and much more. Some of the activities included are Egg Hunt, Lawn Bowling, Face Painting, Bean Bag Toss, Photos with Easter Bunny, Flower Potting, and the Hen House.

X-Stravanganza holds a particular space in the Xavier community’s heart–it is a Freshmen Service Opportunity and is an opportunity for Freshmen to develop leadership skills while serving the community.

Yet, X-Stravaganza is not solely enjoyed by Freshmen. It has truly become a more personal Xavier tradition for many students. There are many students who come back each year to simply be a part of the opportunities presented. Juan Lua has been an X-Stravaganza participant for the past four years. Lua said the highlight of the X-Stravaganza was being able to help those with disabilities. It has impacted Lua in a positive way in that this service showed him to be thankful for everything he has and provides a way to give back to the community. Lua believed that participation in the event allowed him to grow as a person for and with others. X-Stravaganza also helps those with disabilities by providing a safe place for building relationships with others. In other words, people keep coming back because of the positive impact X-Stravaganza has on everyone involved. Lasting memories of love for others are created.

Mari Aguilar, also a four-year participant, said that working the hula hoop station itself was probably the highlight of her day She recounted how she witnessed the joy in so many children’s faces. Whenever she cheered them on, she saw how happy they felt, and that, in turn, brought Aguilar joy. X-Stravaganza helped Aguilar continue her love of working with children. It has also helped her realize how unfair children with disabilities are treated, and how small acts of kindness can bring them so much happiness. Aguilar felt X-Stravaganza brings the greater Xavier community together and is grateful that she had the chance to share in the joy. She also realized she could make a difference. Aguilar learned through participating that it doesn’t take much to leave a lasting impression on others.  For Aguilar, it always brings her joy to see these kids smile and feel loved.