Badminton Joins Xavier Athletics

Back to Article
Back to Article

Badminton Joins Xavier Athletics

Saints practicing for their season.

Saints practicing for their season.

Saints practicing for their season.

Saints practicing for their season.

Xavier provides students a variety of sports from which they can choose and is willing to host new sports at students’ request. Badminton is one such sport new to Xavier’s community. Even though this is the first season, the team has high expectations. Coach Pulsifer and Coach Germanos not only coach the team but put together the game schedule. Xavier Badminton traveled to Citrus Valley, Rialto, Loma Linda Academy, and many other schools to play non-league games.

Xavier Badminton warming up for their match against Citrus Valley High School.

Senior Mike Sun is one of the leaders on the team. Before coming to the United States, Sun played in China; the team considers him an “experienced player.” His desire is to make everyone better than when they first picked up a racket. Sun has a long view of the future success of the program. Sun stated, “I want to make Badminton a fun and competitive sport that makes other students want to come out and join. I see potential in what we have going on.”

Junior Arnol Li likes that Xavier brought on a Badminton team. “It brings more joy to our lives because it is the game that we love playing. It makes me feel more welcomed to the Xavier Community and I will never forget it.” Li also wants to have a successful season and take advantage of the opportunity he has in front of him. He knows only through more practice will the team get better.

Junior William Zhang is proud to be a member of the Badminton team. “We all share the same interests and always support each other. Everyone gets along,” said Zhang. He thanks the Coaches for putting in their time for the team. He never would have imagined that he would be playing Badminton with this team. Zhang also added, “I feel blessed to be continuing Badminton. This opportunity has also lead to new friendships as well.” 

Saints taking on Citrus Valley.

The Badminton team has put in countless hours on and off the court in this first season. The players believe they have become a family. The Badminton team is an example of how Xavier sports directly impacts students’ lives. It is also an example of supporting students’ voice and choice. Go, Saints!