Easter Break Adventures

Tim Fitzpatrick enjoying Santa Barbara.

For many Xavier students, Easter Break is the final week of relaxation before the “grind” begins. As we enter May we are faced with AP Exams, extracurricular activities, extensive preparation for finals, and the painful waiting period for summer to begin. Easter Break is also a time to visit colleges, explore new things, and spend time with friends and family. Lots of students traveled this break around the state, the country, and the world. Whether your week was relaxing or filled with fun, students were grateful for this break from school.

Saints who made last minute trips to their potential future colleges to discover if that school is a perfect fit included Delong Tan who flew to Pennsylvania to visit Penn State. He wanted to check out the various clubs and programs this university offers before he committed. Tim Fitzpatrick drove to Santa Barbara for a few days to check out University of California, Santa Barbara. He munched on peanut butter pretzels and potato chips to keep him busy during the four-hour drive. He loved UCSB but the school does not have the major he is interested in pursuing.

Students from the Appalachia Service Trip pose with Mr. Joubert and Ms. Montez.

Sam Veliz and Nadiya Abubo went to West Virginia on the Xavier Appalachia Immersion Trip. They left the night of Easter and worked on a farm for a local community. They “lived simply” by only bathing once while there and by working in the house, farm, or in town. Sam said, “It was one of the first trips where I felt like I made a difference. Working outside, with my hands gave me a sense of satisfaction that I hadn’t felt before. I learned how to build houses, repair roofs, some plumbing, and I met a lot of interesting people.”

The Europe trip’s first stop: Berlin!

Reina Rover, Jackson Castillo, and Justin Wickstrand were among the Xavier Saints who explored Europe on the school trip. They traveled to Berlin, Prague, Budapest, and Krakow. Reina said the weather was a bit colder than Palm Springs, and she did not pack correctly. Xavier teachers, Ms. Cordia, Mr. Larsson, Coach Doc, Coach Allen, Ms. Hanger, and Mr. Dela Riva, accompanied the students. Chase Johnson was most excited to visit Auschwitz. While Jillian Whitcomb loved trying new foods and experiencing the various European cultures.

While lots of Saints traveled to far away destinations, however, some students stayed within California. Jenna Braun went to San Diego to visit her aunt and uncle for Easter. This trip has been an annual family tradition for the last three years. She spent the rest of her break with her friends and recovered from her busy month. Cami and Carson McCalla traveled to Los Angeles for Easter to visit their sister. Their Easter egg hunts are a tradition that they look forward to each year. After LA, they visited San Diego for the rest of break and relaxed. Hopefully, everyone enjoyed their Easter Break and is ready to tackle these last few weeks of school. We can do this!