Saints in Appalachia

Back to Article
Back to Article

Saints in Appalachia

Xavier Saints prepare for their Immersion Trip.

Saints traveled far and wide over Spring Break. One destination was Appalachia in West Virginia. Ms. Montez and Mr. Joubert accompanied a group of students in this immersion experience.. The group left April 20 and returned April 28. The Appalachia Immersion participants spent time volunteering at Bethlehem Farm building houses. The students and teachers on this trip met other volunteers who also willingly gave of their time and talents in service to the Appalachian community and, therefore, served the Lord.

Students Alexis Franco and Rebecca Phillips were contacted to reflect on their experience during this Immersion Trip. They did not know what to expect due as this was Xavier’s first year with this Immersion. Once they arrived though, some expectations kicked in. Alexis Franco said, “ I expected that we would go to bed way earlier.” However, Rebecca Phillips said, “I went in with few expectations. I wanted to go with the flow.”

Whether there were expectations or not, they were still excited. Alexis Franco said she was most excited about being around farm animals and doing farm work. She most enjoyed the downtime they were given when the group played card games with the other volunteers. Rebecca Phillips was most excited about going to the area, and she was ready for the rain, greenery, trees, and animals. Her favorite part was the community and all the people they met.

After completing this Immersion, students felt inspired to change the world and make similar differences in smaller communities around the country. Alexis Franco shared, “It made me feel like I was directly helping people have a better lifestyle at home by doing home repairs.” Similarly, Rebecca Phillips said, “The trip left me feeling amazing. It has made my heart so happy. I would most definitely go back. I am looking into being a summer servant for the same site.”

Overall, the group found much joy in serving the community, meeting new people, seeing new places, and being in solidarity with others. This new Immersion was a success, and students are already planning on going back again next year! This is what Xavier is all about: serving the Lord through solidarity with others across the country.