The Arrupe Retreat

Andres Arias

More stories from Andres Arias

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Arrupe Retreat

Sophomores and faculty gather for a photo at the Spring Arrupe Retreat.

The Arrupe Retreat was filled with anticipation, exciting events, and new relationships. The Sophomore retreat was a short two-day experience where the students made new friends and examined their relationships with God at the same time.

Mr. Larrson and Fr. Jack engage with a small group of Sophomores.

Anticipation was one of the struggles Sophomores face. Some spent the entire week before the retreat wondering who will be in their group, what the retreat will be like, and what they will be doing. Everyone had expectations. For example, Sebastian Rodriguez said, “My expectations before the retreat are to make new bonds with people in my grade as well as with the leaders. I expect to talk about some personal topics as well.” Khloe Brackend expressed a different sensibility about the retreat. She said that she didn’t expect to make friends with the faulty or other Sophomores with whom she was not already friends. Different expectations can lead to interesting outcomes for all.

The Arrupe Retreat was packed with fun activities that everyone enjoyed. Molly May said that she had so much fun in the activities involving the teachers! She explained that Mr.Joubert was the funniest teacher to watch during these activities. Further this Sophomore retreat created lots of memories for the participants. Sebastian Rodriguez added this observation, “My favorite part of the retreat was when we first arrived and did our first activity. I really enjoyed this part of the retreat because everyone, including the teachers, was smiling, it just made me feel closer to God.”

No one can just simply ‘go’ to the Arrupe retreat. It is best to cultivate an open mind and an open heart towards the possibilities of the experience. Participation in this retreat can lead closer to achieving a more thorough understanding of the ‘grad at grads’ and what it means to be ‘men and women with and for others’. Many friendships are born and broken ones can be mended. Surprisingly, Khloe Bracken said, “I got really close to Ms.Riddle and got closer to Molly and Sammy. I gained so many new friends and got to fix so many old friendships. I thought this retreat was so fun, and I could really feel all the love, compassion, and care we all had for one another.” She also stated that everyone encountered one of Fr. Jack’s goals: for everyone to be seen and heard. Sebastian Rodriguez opened up with, “I formed new relationships with classmates I didn’t know too well before, and with teachers, and leaders. Overall I thought this retreat was a great experience that helped me open up and understand life from a different perspective. This retreat almost included all the grad at grads, Loving and compassionate, Open to Growth, and Religious and Faithful.”

The description of the Arrupe Retreat under the Xavier Website: “The Arrupe Retreat allows Sophomore students the opportunity to reflect on their identity. As they develop into young adults, the Sophomores are faced with new freedoms and responsibilities. How do we make sense of God’s will during a potentially confusing time in our lives?” All the sophomores interviewed really enjoyed being at the retreat and agreed that going on the Arrupe Retreat can really make an impact on someone.  

About the Writer
Andres Arias, Writer

Hi, my name is Andres Arias, and I am in Cross Country. I like to listen to music--Hip Hop and EDM. I hope to go to the University of Oregon. I have a...