Extra Extra! Extra-terrestrials?

Soni Rakipi

More stories from Soni Rakipi

Play for Jay Shirts
November 27, 2018
Back to Article
Back to Article

Extra Extra! Extra-terrestrials?

Obviously an exaggerated photo of what happened on that night in New York

The blue sky at night in New York on December 27th, 2018 was a quiet phenomenon that happened instantly. As quick as it appeared, it disappeared, and just like that the unusual event became immaterial, a non-event, in many people’s eyes. So why even talk about an event that no one has heard of? Because of the possibilities! Now, it could have been an exaggeration that no one has heard of it, but it was close to impossible for this reporter to find someone who did. Most people said “what-chu talkin’ ‘bout cuh,” or something to that effect but in normal English lexicon.

When someone did know about it, they usually mentioned the generator explanation. Before we get too bogged down in reality, I’d like to present the phenomenon, explanations, and conspiracy theories, along with different viewpoints of what makes this story still relevant. That December night in New York the sky immediately turned a bright blue and flashed for a couple of seconds. Then, instantaneously it was gone. Social media blew up with conspiracy theories about how it was a possible extraterrestrial visit. An explanation of what happened soon graced the internet.

The explanation was that a transformer (an apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of alternating current) blew up and caused the lighting effect in the sky. Many people did not believe that was the truth, and some thought that this was just another government debunking put in place to stop speculation. Which, to be fair, would not be the first time. The reason that the blue disappeared so quickly, it was explained, was that electricity flows fast, and it can also be shut down fast–in an instant. All power going to that power plant was simply shut off.
Even though the explanation was given and people were reassured that everything was all right, it did not stop people from thinking about life outside of Earth and whether we have been visited.

Conspiracies breed more conspiracies, so I thought to ask fellow Saints which conspiracies they might believe in, and I got some pretty zany responses. One of my favorites would have to be Stephen Buxton’s who happens to think the Earth is flat. He provided a pretty good argument, too. He said, “If the Earth is like a ball, then how come it hasn’t bounced yet?” I have to give him that one; I can not remember the last time the Earth bounced!

Another was more of a paradox than a conspiracy theory, but I thought it interesting enough to include. It comes from Daniel Martinez who said, “If Pinocchio said his nose was gonna grow and it doesn’t, what happens?” I pondered this. Pinocchio’s nose only grows when he’s lying, but he wouldn’t be lying if his nose grew. And if his nose grew then that would mean he is lying, but he didn’t because he said it was going to grow. So what would happen exactly? Yes, that needs to be read a couple of times before understanding what is actually being asked. Not quite a conspiracy theory but that paradox is as mind-bending as any.

About the Writer
Soni Rakipi, Writer

I am currently a Junior at Xavier College Prep High School. I play the best sport in the world: Baseball. I come from a long line of photographers, and...