Mr. Alling: Principal and President

Jolie Morrison

More stories from Jolie Morrison

Xavier%27s+Principle+and+President%2C+Mr.+Alling+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Alling: Principal and President

Xavier's Principle and President, Mr. Alling

Xavier College Prep helps in the education and formation of young men and women from throughout the valley. Xavier students represent various social, ethnic, and religious backgrounds. Under the motto “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam” (AMDG), meaning “For the Greater Glory of God”, Xavier is able to reach out and educate their students while simultaneously serving marginalized communities. As a school that is held to a higher bar within the larger Coachella Valley, the demanding work and image representation falls upon the dedicated faculty and administrative members. Among this team is Chris Alling, known to the majority of the Xavier community as Mr. Alling. He is the head of our community, and for those unaware of his position, Mr. Alling is both Acting Principal and Acting President to Xavier College Prep. He is the individual responsible for animating the Jesuit and Xavier motto, AMDG, overseeing the formation of young men and women with and for others, and guide Xavier’s program and facility.

Xavier College Prep

No stranger to the Xavier community, Mr. Alling first began his work with Xavier back in the early days–when there were no classrooms or even students. When interviewed about the position he currently holds, Mr. Alling was asked what a typical day in his job might look like. He responded, “I get here around 7 am and leave at the end of the day, whenever that is.” Though tied down with his own workload, Mr. Alling recognizes the dedication students have for their extracurricular activities. “I’m always amazed that kids are here before I arrive and far after I leave.” This is the motivation behind his work. Seeing the dedication students have for their community and the memorable activities hosted by the Xavier community and families is where Mr. Alling finds comfort. “I get to go to the basketball games, go to rallies, and work with great people. It’s really fun”, he stated. The appreciation and love he shares for his community outweigh the stresses of everyday business responsibilities that come with being Xavier’s President.

In terms of work, to better understand what Mr. Allings’ positions as Principal and President mean, Mr. Alling categorized his responsibilities into, “the Three F’s, meaning Finances, Facility, and Future”. While both positions are responsible for these Three F’s; each position manages independent responsibilities. The First F, Finances, entails making sure there is money in the bank that allows for the Second F, Facilities, to operate smoothly. The Facility ensures clean spaces, maintaining a working order, and making sure the doors open. Mr. Alling further explained, “The Future regards both the First and Second Fs. We are looking to prepare young individuals for the future and looking off into the horizon for those we care for.” Mr. Alling believes the sense of kinship developed in the Xavier community is due to the unconditional love faculty and administration have for Xavier students and the facility. Mr. Alling and his team from administration and faculty through to every staff member, actively work to prepare the current generation for what the future may hold offering guidance and encouraging students to explore the different paths God sets before them.

Mr. Alling with student Jaylen Rushin

Mr. Alling’s dedication to the Xavier community defines him as a man who is with and for others. He upholds the society and school motto with dignity while concurrently providing oversight for business needs and working directly with students. Though the work may be difficult, he finds enjoyment in everyday activities and in the spirit of fellow community members. He described his dual positions as an analogous form, “Being President allows for the grandstand view of a game. I oversee everything and often miss the connections I make as Principal who is on the sideline, and in the stands with the people that matter most.”