House Christmas Giving

Justin McWay

More stories from Justin McWay

Back to Article
Back to Article

House Christmas Giving

Faber House donations.

Faber House donations.

Faber House donations.

Faber House donations.

The Xavier tradition of the House Christmas Giving shows the loving character of the community. Each year, Xavier’s Student Leadership Council (SLC) chooses families that are less fortunate and provides these families with gifts to create a memorable Christmas. SLC partners with Our Lady of Perpetual Help (OLPH) Catholic Church in Indio for the annual House Christmas Giving. However, SLC would be unable to do this without the help of the generous students and families.

Canisius House donations.

Each Xavier House is assigned one family to support and collect donations. The families provide specific requests ranging from everyday clothing such as shirts, socks, and pants to house goods and personal hygiene products. So, along with gifts for enjoyment such as a skateboard, toy, dolls, and bikes, there are also the essentials: toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant, diapers, and shampoo. Through this drive, Xavier demonstrates true love towards the Coachella Valley community. Participation in the drive includes students, parents, faculty, administration, and staff. A major donation this year: a day at Disneyland for one of the families.

The impact of gift giving is strong. Xavier Alumni (Class of 2018) Chandler Barbato remembered last year’s House Christmas Giving drive and the delivery to OLPH, “I was honestly really excited for the families to arrive at the Church. We had everything all set up out front, and we were all really eager to be able to finally meet them and present our gifts. I was really hoping that we were able to help them in every way possible.” He was not disappointed. Barbato also described that life moves so fast we forget about the people that need our help. He felt that it was really special to be a part of something bigger than himself.

Brebeuf House donations.

For this year, SLC Brebeuf Deputy, Lloyd DeKlotz, is hoping to have a positive effect on others this year as well. He wants to bring the families a better Christmas than he has had himself, and believes it will be a “bigger blessing than opening my own gifts.” DeKlotz takes being a part of SLC and assigned to a family seriously. He feels obligated to bringing them joy and love this Christmas season. He feels a sense of urgency. To that end, DeKlotz has advertised and sent the list of items to friends, family, and others who he believes could help out.

As you can see, Xavier’s main concern is about uplifting others and putting a smile on their faces. SLC displays tremendous leadership and truly exemplifies what Xavier is all about through this drive. Remembering that this season is centered on Jesus, the House Christmas Giving drive clearly demonstrates His Love through the unselfishness and true generosity from Xavier’s community. Donations are still being accepted. Please bring any donations to Mrs. Hach’s class, 201, and help spread the word!

About the Writer
Justin McWay, Writer

My name is Justin McWay, and I attend Xavier Prep High School in California. I am taking Publications, and I love the class! I play Varsity Basketball,...