Student Survey Time

Adele Benson

More stories from Adele Benson

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Survey Time

It is time for student surveys again Saints! Once a semester the students of Xavier have the opportunity to give feedback to their teachers through the student surveys.  Upon receiving the surveys, teachers read and adjust their curriculum to meet their students’ needs. Not only do the students comment on teaching and learning, but they can also assess their athletic coaches’ performance as well.

Student surveys are a chance for students to work along with their teachers to form a comfortable and successful learning environment. When asked if she participates in the student surveys, Angie Carroll stated: “yes, I do participate in student surveys because they allow teachers to grow to be better teachers.” Surveys are most effective if they are honest and unbiased. This opportunity invites students to be genuine in their responses in an attempt to make a difference and create effective learning activities. Alanis Arce explained, “ I am super honest because if you lie on the survey, there is no point in even filling them out.”

Although most students are indifferent to student surveys, they are still excited to help make an impact. The surveys have an important purpose for the Xavier teaching staff. Sophie Slater explained what she thinks to be the goal of the surveys. “I think the purpose of surveys is to assess the faults of our school and how we can improve the school to make it a better place. Since we are always trying to improve Xavier we should be able to feel welcome and have the best experience in education, starting with communication.”

What do the Xavier teachers expect with this year’s student surveys? Mr. Valovic said he expects “mixed feedback because I have a freshman class, they might not understand my reasoning behind everything I do and how I do it.” Valovic also explained one of his harshest survey responses was when “a student said that I didn’t care.” Teachers endeavor to understand why students may express sentiments such as this. Student Surveys invite teachers to reflect on their teaching just as students reflect on their learning.

The student surveys were a great way to end the semester and provide feedback for next semester to teachers. Make sure to continue to work hard and finish the semester off with a bang, Saints! Happy Holidays!

About the Writer
Adele Benson, Writer

I am a Junior at Xavier College Prep. I play on the Xavier Girl's Water Polo team and am swimming on Xavier's Swim team as well. I lived in Manhattan Beach...