The Elf on the Shelf, An Epidemic?

The Elf on the Shelf first appears on store shelves before entering your house to use your home’s shelf space. How do most people feel about The Elf on the Shelf? Well, someone once said, “it is a waste of money and you basically get a stuffed toy. In return, someone does their (the elf’s) job and gives impressionable minors false hopes and dreams all from somebody who isn’t a real member of your household.” Wow. To those who have no idea what The Elf on the Shelf is all about, that statement will make no sense at all.

Here is some context. The Elf on the Shelf is a stuffed toy that is sold in stores. It was first conceived as an idea for a book. In 2004, Carol Aebersold and her daughter Chanda Bell came up with a children’s book, telling the story of Santa’s helpers going into homes and doing reconnaissance. Every day that they spend in someone’s house, they bring a small toy for the child until Christmas Day when the final gift is given. After this, they leave until next December. The first toy was sold in 2013, and that is when children started wanting their own Elf giving them presents every day in December.

Photo by https://www.elfontheshelf.com/

Now, back to Elf on the Shelf reviews and thoughts:

Some people go to the extreme of giving their elf crazy names like “!#[email protected]%.” When giving the elf a name like “!#[email protected]%,” it signals, I can’t wait until December hits because that’s when !#[email protected]% comes to my house!

Not everyone, however, like The Elf on the Shelf. Many people, in fact, dislike The Elf on the Shelf. It may be they don’t believe in it like one aggravated student who said, “…no. It’s a stuffed animal and has a plastic face. Plus, I blew it up.” This seemed to be an extreme reaction to the concept of The Elf on the Shelf and perhaps indicates another story could be told. That is better saved for a different time.

So here is one more story, a more positive one,  on another’s experience with The Elf on the Shelf. A student, wanting to remain anonymous like everyone else interviewed for this article (hmm), “it is fun because it gets you excited for Christmas!” It was also described as a wonderful experience when “you wake up in the morning excited to see a gift from your Elf.”

Photo by Media Front

It appears there are mixed reviews on The Elf on the Shelf, but that seems to be the case with anything that can be reviewed. Many people either like or dislike something, and that is all right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how extreme it may be. If you, the reader, were looking for an article that may give more insight into The Elf on the Shelf, then I hope you found what you were looking for. If not, then maybe you laughed a bit at some of the answers our anonymous group of interviewee provided. That is the main goal of this article: to share a little laughter and spread a little love. That is what Christmas is all about, and that is what The Elf on the Shelf tries to bring to the table… or the shelf. Enjoy the Gallery of Elf Adventures shared by Parker Stevens, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stevens, 2 of our own faculty.