Tips and Tricks To Beat Your Finals

Bazil Martinez

More stories from Bazil Martinez

Finals can be a difficult time for high school students. Whether you are a Freshman or Senior, grades can swing a B- to a C+ or a B+ to an A- after exams. It is totally normal to be panicking about finals but to ease the stress, here are a few tips and tricks.

It is vital not to cram new information the night before your finals. Hitting the books the night before puts pointless stress on you when you could have started studying a week ago. The information you review the night before or an hour before your finals will most likely be remembered when it’s time for your finals. It may seem like your teachers are out to get you but, your teachers are there to help you through finals week. Ask them questions concerning the topics you are being tested on and the final itself so that you’re prepared when December 18 creeps up.

Buzz Lightyear shows Woody all of us students stressing out.

Study guides do not always include everything that will be on the test. These are usually the main concepts to remember to study. Use your study guide as a guide, but not your only resource. As it may seem pointless to answer and fill out, using handwritten answers can give you an edge rather than typing on a computer. After all, finals are on paper not on a computer. When completing questions for these guides, do not forget to take a break now and then. In fact, some people believe that for every 25 minutes you work, you should take a 15-minute break. Your mind won’t be able to memorize and understand all your concepts crammed into a one-time frame. Balancing your study to break time is key when studying for finals. In these breaks, take time out to rest your eyes from the computer screen or piece of paper you have been staring a for a while. A small snack that will re-energize and keep you awake is something to consider.

Stay on track when studying and do not use all your energy all at once. You can easily pace yourself by not rushing through your study guide and instead go chapter by chapter. Studying only one class can cause boredom. For example, studying Math equations and problems can become repetitive and boring but switching to English can help you wake up and not just glance over it. Study for exams that are crucial to your grade rather than studying for a class for which you have a solid A. Classes in which you struggle will be more difficult than the ones in which you prosper. Make sure to know all of your grades before going into finals week to determine which exams will need more focus than others.

When it comes to note taking in class or at home, write notes in ways you will understand. Do not write it word for word from the book even though it makes no sense to you–your notes won’t make sense, either! Make a color code system for your notes; code by color what’s most important to less important. This will help you focus on the most relevant information and prioritize the topics on the finals. Good luck Saints! Believe it or not, you’ll make it through this week alive and well.

Reassuring Bulldog shares his wisdom.

About the Writer
Bazil Martinez, Writer

I am a senior at Xavier College Prep. I am from the Morongo Tribe of American Indians. I am a captain for the Football team. I enjoy lifting weights, and...