Running for the Saints

Andres Arias

More stories from Andres Arias

Sleep Loss Effects
September 22, 2018
Xavier Cross country tent. All the runners finish and start here, This is also where all the scores are added up

Passion, pain, and commitment the only things you need for running, and, of course, a watch and running shoes. Every little thing matters. By way of encouragement, Coach Lyons reminded his team that it’s the  “shadow work”–paying attention to what you eat and how you get prepared for a race both mentally and physically–that will carry an athlete through to the finish.

The start of the varsity race at around 5:15 pm

It is clear that Xavier runners have personal motivation which keeps them coming to practice every morning wanting to get better. Having good motivation is critical. Maddie Reardon, a Junior that has been running since Freshman year, said, “I stay motivated by thinking about my teammates and how much effort we’re all putting in. I try to focus on our end goal and our reason for running.” Laurissa Carrillo, a Freshman, has a few things that she does to keep motivated. She shared, “I do a few things actually. Personally, I keep myself around people when I feel unmotivated, they are what drive me and keep me going. Whoever is near me paces me, and its kind of like an unspoken friendly competition.” She went on to say that she thinks about the good benefits that coming out and working with 100% effort bring. Cross country is not an individual sport. Teammates have a huge role in supporting each other and keeping each other motivated for the next practice, race, and season.

Racing is one of the most entertaining parts of Cross Country; everyone has their favorite race. Racing can show the teams improvement from practice and can also show passion. Elijah Salmon (Bubba), a Senior, remarked, “My favorite race is Arcadia because it’s at night, and it signifies that the invitationals are over. The next few races mean something and its time to get down to business.” John Zingg agreed, “Arcadia is my favorite because of everyone’s PR’s (personal records). It is also a very fun course. We also race at night against some of the best teams.” Overall Arcadia was deemed a team favorite race due to the level of competition and the great weather.

Goals are an important part of Xavier students’ formation. Everyone has goals whether for school or athletics. Coach Lyons was clear. “Our goal is to make it to State every season, including this season. In preparing the team for State this season, we are hopefully impressing upon the newer athletes, the dedication, and constant attention that is required of them to be a part of the continued success that our team has had.” All athletes must complete a goal sheet so that they can come to the race prepared and ready to get to the goal. Savana May, a Sophomore, said her goals are “As a team to place top 5 in Fresno (State) and individually to drop my time in  below 18 minutes.” Even new to Cross Country athletes have personal goals. Maxwell Sonneborn, a Junior who just joined this season said that his goal was “to get to State and improve as a team mentally and physically.”

Perhaps the core of the success of the Xavier Cross Country team is this understanding of the importance of setting goals and being in it together as a team.

About the Writer
Andres Arias, Writer

Hi, my name is Andres Arias, and I am in Cross Country. I like to listen to music--Hip Hop and EDM. I hope to go to the University of Oregon. I have a...