A Love Response

Carlos Haggar

More stories from Carlos Haggar

The Xavier Family Rally
September 19, 2018

On September 29th, a Saturday morning at 3:40 AM, a car containing Kai Killebrew, Jaylen Rushin, and Matthew Shupp lost control and put their lives at risk. Not only did this accident affect their lives, but it affected the lives of those in the Xavier Community. Xavier reacted to this car accident as a family, mourning with all their attention and raising money for the expensive bills. The football and basketball teams also took this accident to heart, getting ready to play for Kai, Jay, and Matt.

The car accident was an upsetting shock to everyone, striking the hearts of everyone who heard about it. The scheduled Freshman Retreat on the day of the car crash was transformed by the occurrence of the accident, now including many opportunities to reflect and pray for our family members.  The football team immediately honored the three Xavier students by playing their game against Rancho Mirage in their honor. Even though the Saints were down 13-0 at halftime, the sensation of mourning and dedication fueled a miraculous comeback, resulting in a 17-13 win for the Saints. The drive from that game was carried on throughout the remainder of the season, with Kai on the sideline to support the last games.

Bradley McClure, Xavier Saint’s Quarterback, tweeted about Kai Killebrew.

The volleyball team reacted in a similar way, honoring them as if a part of the team has been taken away. Along with their love and affection, the volleyball team wrote the boys’ names on their shoes, legs, and arms during the game against La Quinta on October 1st, showing their support and belief in them. The basketball team took similar actions, honoring the boys on their warm-up jackets. There was also a team prayer before every game, making sure Jaylen still has a home on the team.

Olivia Deklotz, a member of Xavier’s Volleyball team, shows respect.

In honor of one of the members of their team, varsity basketball created the slogan, “Play for Jay,” in honor to represent him and his wellbeing at every game. This quote will be embedded into the back of the warm-up jackets, showing unconditional support. The football team also created, “Play for 5,” in honor of Kai Killebrew, a member of their team. Since Kai’s number was 5, this ‘punny’ slogan was created to show support for Kai, who is expected to make a comeback to the team next year.

Xavier’s basketball coach, Justin Sobczyk, announcing the theme of the season.

The Xavier community as a whole has sponsored many activities in order to raise money for Jaylen’s expensive hospital bills. The Xavier Student Leadership Council created a Go-Fund-Me page in order to raise 15 thousand dollars and hammered that goal within 24 hours. The profit made from the sales of the shirts sold at the Xavier versus Rancho Mirage football game will be gifted to Jaylen’s family as well. There are many more future events planned to raise money for Jaylen and his family. You are invited to participate, so stay tuned for details.

About the Writer
Carlos Haggar, Writer

I am a junior who is very invested in making Xavier the best it can be. I play basketball for Xavier and have been for four years. I love spending time...