Prayer Services for Xavier’s Injured Students

Justin McWay

More stories from Justin McWay

First Home Football Game
September 22, 2018
Students, faculty, parents and staff from the Desert Christian Academy and Xavier community aligned showing their love for the injured students.

In the early morning of Saturday, September 29th, 2018, at around 3:00 a.m. three Xavier students were involved in a high-risk car accident. The accident took place at an intersection on Avenue 42 in Indio. (Junior) Kai Killebrew, (Sophomore) Jaylen Rushin, and (Freshman) Matthew Shupp were the students involved in this accident.

The entire Xavier community was devastated and hurt mentally and emotionally. One of the ways the community responded was through prayer services for the three boys.

The day after the incident, Xavier hosted the Freshman Retreat Mass, which was opened to the public and people were asked to wear white in support of the injured students. The gymnasium was filled with students, teachers, staff, parents, friends and family members of the affected students. Even people outside the Xavier family who were in attendance wore white in honor of Kai, Jay, and Matthew. Matthew Shupp attended the Mass and received lots of love and support from everyone around. He was called up to the front by Father Jack during the homily to receive blessings. Those blessings were sent to Kai and Jaylen in the hospital as well.

The Xavier family making a heart sign for Jaylen.

October 1st, 2018 was the 15th birthday of Jaylen Rushin. This was only two days after the accident. Another prayer service was held in the Xavier gymnasium to celebrate his birthday. Mr. Alling welcomed everybody and thanked them for the continuous loving support through the previous few days.

Everyone hugging and showing love to each other after the birthday prayer service for Jaylen Rushin.

The Celebration’s opening song which highlighted the hope held for the students in the hospital was sung by one and all. Coach Lewis shared his thoughts of what was going on and encouraged the community to stay strong through these difficult times. Students came up and shared their own prayers for their fellow students in the hospital. Father Jack called up a few students to demonstrate with him, his notorious “sharing of the love” act. And everyone sent that love around each other and to Kai and Jaylen as well. A cake was brought out with candles lit and participants sang “Happy Birthday” in honor of Jaylen. At the end of the prayer service, everyone came together in a big circle, arms locked around each other forming a big hug. Afterward, the invitation to stay and enjoy some cake was accepted in love for our absent Saints.

Mr. Alling greeting a Desert Christian Academy student and thanking him for being there.

A third prayer service occurred October 5th at 7:30 a.m. when students from Desert Christian Academy joined us by the St. Francis statue. Visiting DCA students, faculty and parents brought doughnuts, posters, and prayers to express their condolences towards the families and the whole Xavier community. Mr. Alling and Father Jack thanked the Desert Christian Academy students and families for their positivity, and for being there to pray with them. Everyone got in a circle, held hands, and took turns lifting up prayers. There were prayers offered for a speedy recovery for Kai and Jaylen in the hospital, positivity to their families, love for the Xavier community, and for the protection of other students in the Coachella Valley that this does not happen again. After praying, Desert Christian Academy and Xavier students and families interacted with one another.

Kai is recovering well, Jaylen has been transported to Loma Linda Hospital for better treatment, and Matthew has been attending school regularly and supports his team on the sideline for football games. Funds were started to aid the medical bills for the families. The entire Coachella Valley has sent their condolences and demonstrated their own sympathy for us. Be on the look-out for updates on the students and keep them in your thoughts and prayers. #Playfor5 #PlayforJay #PlayforShupp

About the Writer
Justin McWay, Writer

My name is Justin McWay, and I attend Xavier Prep High School in California. I am taking Publications, and I love the class! I play Varsity Basketball,...