Senior Sunrise: New Beginnings

Olivia Quagliani

More stories from Olivia Quagliani

Dream On
May 22, 2018

The sun rose on August 16, 2018, just like any other day. However, this particular sunrise was special to the Senior Class of 2019. It symbolized the beginning of their last year of high school. For many, it was a time of realization: time goes by quickly, and not a second can be wasted.

Seniors made their way to the field at 5:30 am to share this event with one another. Some heard rumors about the event and had expectations. Senior Stark Vuksic said, “I expected it to be a fun, laid-back time meeting everyone again.” On the other hand, some Seniors had little or no expectations for the event. Emily McGowan stated, “I wasn’t sure what to expect going into the experience. I had always seen the previous Seniors post pictures and talk about it. I imagined that it would be a long talk about the upcoming year.”

The sunrise left many Seniors feeling at peace. Emily McGowan added, “I felt extremely peaceful and excited for the year ahead. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, and I’m grateful that I got to see Xavier in that light.” Similarly, Kiana Rodriguez felt the same way; she shared, “I felt at peace during the sunrise, and I felt blessed to be able to welcome the new school year with such a special event.” Senior Sunrise is a tradition in many schools including Xavier; so it is amazing to see how it continues to positively affect each new Senior class.

Vuksic, McGowan, and Rodriquez also shared feelings for their last year of high school. Stark Vuksic revealed, “I am excited about going into the Senior year, but I have a little more anxiety for what comes next.” Emily McGowan had this to say about the Senior year, “I feel ready. Xavier has done a great job preparing me for college and now I’m almost there! I am extremely grateful for all that Xavier has done for me. Senior year is going to be a challenge, but I am incredibly excited for it.” Kiana Rodriguez said, “My emotions are bittersweet. I am excited to make new memories and grow in my friendships, but I also can’t believe that we are all Seniors already.” Overall, the Seniors who were interviewed are excited for their final year, but they are also anxious about what the future holds.

Campus Ministry director, Mr. Joubert, planned the Senior Sunrise with help from other faculty members and Senior leadership with the hope of making it a memorable experience. Mr. Joubert reflected, “I think Senior Sunrise is a great way for the Seniors to gather together as one and join together as this new year dawns. As this final chapter of their Xavier story begins to close, the sun rises. Seniors can set new goals for themselves and reflect on what they want to make the most of this year.” Mr. Joubert’s advice for the Senior class as their final school year begins: the most important thing Seniors can do during this stressful time is pray to God and ask the Holy Spirit to help guide them. Mr. Joubert encouraged Seniors to seek help and comfort from counselors, teachers, and the Campus Ministry team. Mr. Joubert said that asking for help and receiving help is a “…team effort. It’s not just all on you.”

The Senior Sunrise is a special moment for the class to enjoy. It provided one last reminder to create a new beginning. The start of a new day gave hope and inspiration to accomplish a goal. The Senior Sunrise gave Seniors time, a reliable factor in an otherwise uncertain life, to find deeper meaning and the passion to follow their dreams. The Seniors were provided this experience to motivate them to reach beyond their comfort zone into the uncertain. This service reminded Seniors to challenge themselves in order to receive the most they can from their lives. The sunrise showed them that their futures will always be bright, no matter where they go in life. The memories of this Senior Sunrise sun will forever unite the class no matter where we travel. The sunrise will shine its light on us all.

Photo Credits: Adele Benson & Olivia Quagliani

About the Writer
Olivia Quagliani, Co-Editor
Hi! I’m Olivia Quagliani, and I am a Senior this year. I have been the goalie for Girls Water Polo since my Freshman year. I enjoy reading, watch Criminal Minds, and playing with my dog. My favorite place to read is San Clemente beach. I lived in Georgia for 9 years before moving to California,...