Arrupe Leaders Summit

Hailey Dewegeli

More stories from Hailey Dewegeli

Credits to Lena Chapin

Credits to Lena Chapin

Credits to Lena Chapin

February 4th-6 Xavier Juniors Marni McDowell, Griffin Forti, Kiana Rodriguez, and Hailey Dewegeli, had the experience of meeting students from Sacramento to Central America at an St. Ignatius Solidarity Leadership Conference. It was a diverse atmosphere where we discussed social justice issues in Los Gatos, California. Students shared their beliefs with passion on topics including equality, immigrants, education, political trust, plus their personal religious struggles with justice. The Examiner asked Kiana Rodriguez and Griffin Forti questions concerning the trip:

What is Xavier’s call to Justice, and what similarities or differences with other Catholic schools do we share?

-Kiana Rodriguez

“Xavier’s and my personal call to justice are similar in the aspect that they are both for helping others. Xavier does this through service opportunities such as the Extravaganza, Immersions, and service trips to Las Palmitas and Mecca.” She further explained that as a Catholic campus, “we all embody being men and women with and for others.”

-Griffin Forti

Griffin agreed with Kianna, then shared “Personally, I want to understand more about social justice and then become more involved.”

What was the most memorable story from a fellow conference attendee you met?

-Kiana Rodriguez

“The most memorable story from the conference was from my new friend Tay Wiley who goes to Saint Louis University High School in Missouri. His story was about the senior service project at his school and how for the entire month of January, seniors leave on service trips with no school responsibility. Some stay to do service in the Saint Louis community, while others go all the way around the world to help countries in poverty. This senior service project is the most important, meaningful, and formative part of their Jesuit education.”

-Griffin Forti

“Her name is Sophia Yonkers-Talz, and she’s from Central America. I didn’t know her personal story but just the fact that she was the only one representing her school, and that she traveled this far to be at the conference was astounding to me. Her dedication and care about social justice is something to admire.”

What did you leave inspired to do?

-Kiana Rodriguez

“I left inspired to take more action in my own community starting with small steps. I also gained motivation to focus on all marginalized communities and global issues rather than just the ones right in front of me.”

-Griffin Forti

“I left inspired to learn more. I don’t know enough about the logistics and data behind most of the injustices and dilemmas in our lives right now, but I do definitely want to learn more.”

For more information, please follow this link: https://ignatiansolidarity.net/programs/arrupe-leaders-summit/