We Pledge Allegiance

Maria Callahan

More stories from Maria Callahan

NCL Fashion Show
November 13, 2017

The importance of the Pledge of Allegiance

Staff photo by Michael G. Seamans
Kindergartners at James H. Bean Elementary School in Sidney Friday morning. A new state law that says schools must provide students with the opportunity to recite the pledge.

Staff photo by Michael G. Seamans Kindergartners at James H. Bean Elementary School in Sidney Friday morning. A new state law that says schools must provide students with the opportunity to recite the pledge.

I remember learning the National Anthem at Gerald Ford Elementary for the first time. I didn’t quite understand the words, but I knew they were important. When I was in first grade, my family and I moved to Utah. During the nine years I spent there, I attended four different schools, and at each school, we would recite the pledge every morning. I vividly remember each project and lesson that promoted respect for the American flag and the Pledge of Allegiance. As I participated in these projects, I felt closer to my country, and I was proud to be an American. Even now, when I ponder the words of the Pledge of Allegiance and The National Anthem, I am filled with gratitude for our country.

As a Freshman, I went to Palm Desert High School. As I stood and began saying the Pledge of Allegiance for the first time at PD, I observed my classmates and found myself disappointed in their patriotism. Some hated standing and the majority even refused to say it. I was offended. The disrespect my peers showed for our country saddened me, and I realized that many people do not understand the importance of the pledge, nor do they appreciate the value of daily recitation. When I transferred to Xavier as a sophomore, I was very pleased to be at a school that is God-centered and one that respected our country. However, despite the patriotism and spirituality emanating from students and teachers alike, I noticed something was missing; we never recited the pledge. The absence of such an important ritual disheartened me, and I was disappointed that it appeared the school did not value pledge as I had.

This dejection disappeared when I began my junior year in Flower Mound High School, located in Flower Mound, Texas. Every day we would stand and declare the Pledge of Allegiance, followed by the Texas pledge. For anyone who does not know that much about Texas, allow me to describe how Texans are a proud and patriotic people, of both country and state. First, most cars have either a Texas flag sticker, a Texas state sticker, a sticker that showed support for their school and an American flag. Second, you would be hard-pressed to find more spirited and dedicated community than at a Texas high school football game. The game is a community event and an entire production. The game unifies the community. Why? Texans believe in unity, and they believe in their school, their state, and their country.

Xavier has a reputation for being not just a school, but a family.  I believe that saying the pledge is another fantastic way to unify our family and remember to draw closer to God during the difficult times. Saying the pledge every day will give all students a chance to reflect and remember the core values of America that are made up of liberty and justice for all under God.

The Following video was made by faculty and students in The Sunnyside Unified School District. It is incredibly well done and excellently portrays the history, meaning, and importance of the pledge. If you have the chance, please take the time to watch this video. Thanks!

https://medium.com/@LookingGlass/i-pledge-allegiance-7099a1c71776