An Opportunity to Serve: Las Palmitas Tutoring

Shannon Chakmakian

More stories from Shannon Chakmakian

Pictured (Left to Right): 
Mary Aguilar Vargas, Bree Oandasan, Matthew Rivera,  Griffin Forti, Jose Bautista, Patrick Trubee, and Nadiya Abubo

Pictured (Left to Right): Mary Aguilar Vargas, Bree Oandasan, Matthew Rivera, Griffin Forti, Jose Bautista, Patrick Trubee, and Nadiya Abubo

The end of the year is approaching fast, and multiple Juniors are scrambling to get their fifty hours of service with the marginalized logged. Students have a hard time in approaching the overwhelming amount of hours to be acquired by the end of the school year. If service opportunities are approached with the right heart and attitude, it does not seem like a difficult task to be finished. Xavier Campus Ministry Office offers multiple ways to get hours, and one of the most popular service opportunities is Las Palmitas Tutoring. The Xavier Community has partnered with Las Palmitas Elementary School in Thermal, to help children who cannot do their homework by themselves. To get a glimpse of what this opportunity looks like, The Examiner spent time with two Juniors, Bree Oandasan and Matthew Rivera.

Bree has been volunteering for Las Palmitas every Tuesday since November. Matthew is new to the scene and has only been tutoring twice this month. When asked what their favorite memory was, Bree said, “My favorite memory was working with a bright kid named Joaquin, who kept forgetting my name. When we were doing counting activities, he would say “Bree, Bree, Bree” instead of one, two, three.” Matthew stated, “My favorite memory was when a couple of the students started to sing happy birthday to me in a joking way since my birthday recently passed. They then asked if they were invited to my birthday party which was just a really funny experience.” Bree and Matthew both agree that volunteering at Las Palmitas shows how those who might be marginalized are just like us. Bree explains that the marginalized are all around us, and it is ok that they need some extra help. Matthew believes even though these children’s circumstances are seen as bad in our eyes, all the children have so much potential and talent.

Both Matthew and Bree recommend that everyone use this opportunity to volunteer and serve, as you establish bonds with these kids no one thought possible.