Revolutionary Cinematography

Olivia Quagliani

More stories from Olivia Quagliani

Dream On
May 22, 2018

Movie theaters have been playing cinematically complex films lately due to Hollywood bringing eloquent stories to life. Two of the most raved about films from the past few months have been The Shape of Water and The Post. Although incredibly different, both films were nominated for various awards. The Shape of Water won two Golden Globes for Best Director and Best Original Score. In a similar position, The Post was nominated for Best Motion Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Original Score.

The Shape of Water was released to theaters on December 1, 2017. It follows the everyday routine of deaf cleaning maid, Eliza Esposito, and her journey falling in love with a beautiful water creature. It is a story about finding happiness and love in uncharted territory. It emphasizes the struggles faced by those who are demeaned for their lack of ability and shows how loving specific people can bring forth judgmental thoughts. Film enthusiast, Justin Wickstrand saw the movie and commented, “I thought the film was beautiful. Everything from the direction, performances, cinematography, and score all culminate into a unique stylistic experience with a brilliant narrative. Director Benicio del Toro is able to craft what is on the surface a monster movie, yet subtly lays the groundwork for social commentary and an examination of the personal impact of military intervention and war. Leading actress Sally Hawkins delivers an incredibly nuanced performance as a mute cleaning lady, who falls in love, and inevitably finds her long sought-after true happiness. All the while, the enchanting musical score elevates the film as a whole. In the end, The Shape of Water is a film that tugs at the heartstrings and enthralls you to the very end.” Personally, I could not have said it better myself. This particular film is profound and hopefully inspiring to those who love cinema and captivating stories. This film won two Golden Globes for its beautiful direction and story-telling.

The Post was released on January 12, 2018. It is an exposé on the massive cover-up that the government attempted to hide from the country regarding the Vietnam War. Government officials were spewing lies to America’s population about how their children fighting in the war were doing well and were safe. In reality, the US troops had no hope fighting in this particular war, but America’s ego was too big to allow for the troops to return home to true safety. The New York Times and The Washington Post fight for the truth and for the will to expose the secrets that have been hidden from the population. This film inspires those who seek the truth and demand their rights to be given to them. This film is truly profound and relevant to today’s politics. A powerful line from the movie is, “Freedom of the press is for the governed not the governors.” With this idea in mind, journalists all over can write the truth without fear of losing everything they have. Freedom of the press is critical to all those who have a passion for sharing the truth and demanding the truth to be known by all who will listen. Again, with today’s political atmosphere, this movie reminds us what it means to be American and further reminds us that we do have rights. These cannot be constitutionally stripped away from us.

These two movies are not simply beautiful and profound, but they are revolutionary in the pursuit of remaining true to who we each identify as, whether it be a lover of a water creature, an American who stands up for their rights, a person who understands the act of taking risks, or whatever else a person is. With both films containing impeccable historical context and connections to today’s society, they are truly worth viewing in theaters.

Photo Credits: 

“Movie Review – THE POST.” Geek Girl Authority, 12 Jan. 2018, www.geekgirlauthority.com/movie-review-the-post/.

Barber, Nicholas. “Culture – Why The Shape of Water Is the Most Relevant Film of the Year.” BBC, BBC, 23 Jan. 2018, www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180123-oscar-nominations-will-a-sci-fi-film-win-best-picture.