2018 OLYMPIC GAMES: A Xavier Connection?

Nicolle Franco

More stories from Nicolle Franco

Yanny vs. Laurel
May 22, 2018

The Olympic Games have been world-changing events throughout the past 3,000 years. The games have influenced many young athletes to work harder than ever in preparation for the potential of those greatest awards. Knowing that the games have been separated into two different seasons, athletes have more time to focus and train for their chosen sport. There are 4 newly added events to this year’s Olympic Games: big air snowboarding, freestyle skiing, mass start speed skating, and mixed doubles in curling.

AP
Canada’s Erik Guay makes a turn during the men’s downhill at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, Sunday, Feb. 9, 2014, in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia. (AP Photo/Alessandro Trovati)

North and South Korea have made a pact joining together in making a women’s ice hockey team for the Winter Games. Even though the two countries are technically still at war yet have abided by the 1953 armistice, South Korea’s President Moon Jae and the North Korean leader, Kim Jong Un shook hands to ‘seal’ the pact during the meeting in Seoul. This action took everyone by surprise and has given the populations in both countries hope for other, tougher situations. Moon stated, “One of the reasons why we did this was to establish peace and improve our relationships between the two countries.”

President Trump and Kim Jong Un have been recently sending messages to each other through their resources that they both had a nuclear weapon button ready to be used. This has increased tension and concern in the US for the past couple of months. Knowing that our athletes are going to be attending South Korea for the Olympic Games have some people worried. Nikki Haley, the US Ambassador to the UN responded to questions of security, “I think having those conversations are ones that we’re always going to have, but that doesn’t change the fact that Americans are fearless, independent, and free”.

HOW DO THE OLYMPICS IMPACT OUR XAVIER COMMUNITY:

A Xavier Freshman, Kaylee Mcclellan, has already been thinking about playing in the Olympic Games in the future. She has shown the Xavier varsity soccer team determination and passion towards her sport by inspiring them to become better players every day. Asked about her journey and how’s it going so far, Kaylee shared the following:

• What kind of training do you do outside of Xavier? Is it private training or is it with a team?
    • Outside of Xavier, I train with my club soccer team, Legends FC Academy. This is a team training.
  • How long do you think you’ll be practicing if you want to pursue the Olympic Games one day?
    • I think I will be practicing for a long time if I want to one day play in the Olympics to represent the USA. This will take a lot of determination to get better and practice on my own. I would have to cancel social events just so I can train and get better for what’s next.
  • What has the training done for you as an athlete? Has it taught you anything?
    • Training for soccer has completely changed me, not only as an athlete but how I manage my time on social events to train for the sport I love. Being an athlete has taught me that you don’t always have to go to every party or a friend’s house every weekend because when you’re practicing the sport you have a great passion for, nothing else matters.