First Comes the Fire, Then Comes the Flood

Alahna MacMillan

More stories from Alahna MacMillan

Playing For a Cure!
November 18, 2017
Ventura County Sheriff's Office

Ventura County Sheriff's Office

Ventura County Sheriff's Office

Those who live in the areas that were affected by the Thomas Fire once again faced disaster when calls for immediate evacuation due to the flash floods and mudslides came Tuesday, January 9th of 2018 in Ventura County, CA. The land that was scorched and charred by the Thomas Fire became saturated as heavy rain fell and triggered the floods and mudslides. The downpour wrecked havoc and created apocalyptic scenes of devastation.

Andrew Cullen for New York Times

Portions of Highway 101 along the coast were closed due to the flooding and mudslides. Entire sections of roadways were washed away. More than a dozen beaches were ordered closed due to extreme levels of harmful bacteria. Massive boulders were moved by the raging waters causing the complete destruction of 100 homes and over 300 homes were further damaged.

17 lives were taken that day, along with 28 injuries and 48 people were missing. Search and rescue efforts covered more than 30 square miles. K9 units, helicopters, and bulldozers worked alongside more than 1,560 people assigned to the search-and-rescue and cleanup efforts. These rescue crews working 12-hour shifts were at risk as well as exposure to raw sewage and leaking gas lines. The mud and debris hid objects like broken glass, splintered wood, and nails making efforts more difficult in an already hazardous condition.

Santa Barbara County Fire Department

Xavier’s Community is one that stands with people. Here’s how to direct your assistance to the victims of the flooding and mudslides:

Direct Relief – Direct Relief is a Santa Barbara organization which provides medical relief to disaster victims.

Santa Barbara Humane Society – This organization provides emergency shelter and food for pets and other domestic animals of people who had to evacuate their homes.

Thomas Fire and Flood Fund – The United Way of Santa Barbara County and the United Way of Ventura County raised $2.6 million for the Thomas Fire Fund to offer relief services to those impacted by the fire. After the flooding occurred, the fund was re-established to support those in communities affected by both the wildfire and flooding.

American Red Cross of the Pacific Coast – The American Red Cross has “everything we need to meet the immediate needs of the residents at our shelter.” The best way to help this organization is through a financial donation.

Be a man and woman with and for others by helping those who were deeply affected by both the Thomas Fire and the Ventura County flooding!

Works Cited

Clark, Lucas. “How to Help Victims of the Montecito Mudslides.” Sanluisobispo, The Tribune, 12 Jan. 2018, www.sanluisobispo.com/news/state/california/article194099929.html.

Queally, James. “At Least 13 Dead as Heavy Rains Trigger Flooding, Mudflows and Freeway Closures across Southern California.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 9 Jan. 2018, www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rainfall-mudflow-20180109-story.html.

Veronica Miracle, et al. “Montecito Flooding: Search Continues for Mudslide Victims.” ABC7 Los Angeles, KABC-TV Los Angeles, 12 Jan. 2018, abc7.com/montecito-flooding-search-continues-for-mudslide-victims/2928937/.