Saints’ Girls Soccer: 1st Team to Score on La Quinta (Twice)

Janey Castoe

More stories from Janey Castoe

While it might seem to be an unusual thing to celebrate, Xavier Girls Soccer finds consolation (scoring points) in an otherwise desolation (a loss). January 9th, 2018, Xavier’s Girls Soccer was the first DVL team to score on La Quinta High School’s team. La Quinta Girls Soccer was ranked #1 in DVL at the time of this game. The Saints are climbing their way up through the DVL ranks, and this achievement was a remarkable part of the Saints’ season, giving them joy and excitement for what’s to come. The score at halftime was tied 2-2 with the final score 4-2 (LQ win). Even though the Saints lost the team was still proud of the achievements and improvements that were shown in this game.

You can watch the goals here: 1st goal: http://www.hudl.com/v/28pgvH 2nd goal: http://www.hudl.com/v/28pfDm

Varsity girls soccer shared their thoughts and experience with us about the La Quinta game:

How did you feel going into the game?

Beau Tattersall (Sophomore) said she had that feeling that’s a cross between nervous and excited. You can’t quite tell which one but she had a feeling that something good was going to happen!

“I was nervous going into the game because they are one of the more difficult teams that we play. But I was excited and ready to play well with my team.” -Junior, Emma Feller

Junior Andrea Younes said, “Going into the game, I can’t lie and say I wasn’t nervous. LQ has always been one of the toughest teams to play against. But I remembered that our team always puts up a good fight, and I had faith that we’d give it are all regardless of the outcome.”

How did you feel going out of the game?

Tattersall revealed that after the end of game whistle blew, even if for only a second, she was disappointed.  That quickly changed and the whole team left the field with such positive energy after they found out they were the first to score on them!

Emma also added, “After the game, I was so proud of how every single person played and that we were able to do something no other team had done yet!”

“Even though we lost we all walked off with our heads up and were so proud to score against LQ. I walked off feeling like we stepped up as a team and showed them how good we are,” said Freshman Nadyne Abubo.

What was your reaction when Xavier scored? The 1st time? The second?

Sophomore captain Dalton Kramer said, “I was exhilarated when the first goal went in. Yet I was a little surprised that it went in. For the second I goal I was so happy, and I realized that we really aren’t any different than La Quinta.”

“It was a really rewarding feeling knowing that we scored on the best team in the DVL. It felt that all our hard work had paid off, even if we did not win.” -Junior, Brianna Bocca

Freshman Kaylee McClellan said, “Well honestly, I didn’t even know that we were the first team to score on them in the valley! I just thought we scored a goal for the tie, and we needed to get another to win this game. Then when we scored our second goal, I was so happy because we just pushed our way up their defense and scored for the tie again! At the half, it was 2-2, and then that’s when I heard that we were the first to score in the valley on LQ. I heard it actually from you (Janey Castoe) in our huddle. It made me and our team feel so good!!

Even though you lost, were you happy with the outcome?

“Even though we lost, in a way it was still a win for us. Being the first team in the valley to score on the reigning DVL champs is an accomplishment for sure. I’m just happy that we were able to fight and push through and keep it a close game,” said Junior McKinley Groat

Acacia Dabareiner (Junior) tells us that she was happy with the outcome because most of the teams in the valley were expecting Xavier to lose by a lot, but this season the team showed them how much stronger they’d  become especially being strong enough to be the 1st to score against LQ.

Junior captain Sophia Caridi said, “I was happy with how we played. We gave it our all the whole game, and we played like a team which I was really happy about. Although I would’ve loved to win I know we all tried our hardest, and I’m really proud to be the first team to score on them.”

How are you going to prepare for the next time you play them?

Junior Rebecca Vazquez explained, “ I think the whole team needs to prepare mentally and just spend the whole day thinking about how we each can improve. Sometimes we tend to talk about how the other teams might be better, and we look at their rankings. We need to think about ourselves and figure out what we can do better. We need to trust each other and ourselves.”

“Before each game, the team goes around, and everybody says things that we can do that game to improve. It really gets everyone prepared and in the mood for the game,” Dabareiner shared.

What was your favorite part of the game?

“My favorite part was being able to come together as a team in the joy of the accomplishment we made,” Junior Leah Dreisbach explained.

Freshman Molly May added, “My favorite part of the LQ game was knowing they were one of the top teams in the valley, and that we were tied with them. Even though the odds seem against us, we were playing really well and connecting passes and shutting them down. ”

Rylee Mangan (Junior) told us that her favorite part was when they scored the second goal against them. It showed that Xavier could compete with the best team in the valley!

Xavier Stats: Saints held more possession of the ball throughout the game but LQ had more opportunities to score.

Xavier Saints stepped up their game against LQ and they were sure ready to play them at La Quinta’s home on February 1st.