Posada: It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year!

Nicolle Franco

More stories from Nicolle Franco

Yanny vs. Laurel
May 22, 2018

What is Posada? Posada is a well-known Mexican tradition that is celebrated during Christmastime. It begins nine days before Christmas eve where families gather up in their homes to sing in groups holding lighted candles. This tradition represents Joseph and Mary’s pilgrimage in Bethlehem in search of a house to give birth to Jesus. This “search” starts December 16th throughout all Mexican homes. Food is a big factor in this celebration. Tamales, posole, menudo, and buñuelos, are some of the most popular foods that are brought to Posadas. During this reenactment, the people act like the pilgrims while the hosts of the house act like the innkeepers. At the end of it all, the innkeepers hold the door open as an indication of acceptance to the pilgrims. Participants sing together to celebrate the coming of Jesus Christ.

Tamales Click Here for Recipes!

Xavier’s Posada 2017 Xavier did an amazing job in recreating the Posada during this winter season. This year, many people attended to join together as a community. The food, music, and decorations were a huge success throughout the whole night, too. All of these things were donated by our parents and teachers who wanted to make this night as memorable as possible for first-time visitors. Xavier’s Posada not only brought new people to our campus but also brought back old alumni from the past several years. More than 300 people showed up to this special event, including family members from Mexico. Mrs. Coie, a staff member from our school, explained, “Posada is supposed to be a community builder; bringing back alumni and parents to our campus shows how they are always connected to our community. This is an event about sharing with the community.” Different choirs from other schools came to sing with our choir. Xavier provided the opportunity to experience different cultures throughout Christmas season to connect with and honor people from other ethnicities.

Posole click for recipe!

Featured Food Recipes

Impress your family and friends with your great cooking skills by remaking these delicious Mexican food recipes at your own Christmas celebration! Click on the images to launch the recipes!

Menudo click for recipe!

Thoughts on Xavier’s Posada

Is the Posada a part of your family’s traditional Christmas celebration? “Yes, every year on the 21st of December my family gathers together for a posada. For food, we have tamales, posole, and menudo. We would walk down the street with a candle and sing the typical Posada songs.” -Carly Diaz, Senior

Why did you attend this year’s Posada? “I attended because I love participating in school activities and in school spirit.” -Matthew Cosgrove, Senior

What surprised you? “What surprised me was how good the food and music was.” -Kevin Brown, Senior