Jillian Whitcomb: Saints’ Halo

October 4, 2017

JJillian Whitcomb, class of 2019, is a co-captain of the Varsity Volleyball team. She shares this leadership with Senior Maria Callahan. Jillian was inspired by her older sisters and began playing volleyball when she was eight years old. This season marks her third year playing for Xavier, and she states, “I love playing for Xavier because I get to play with my friends and for my friends.”

Beginning as a new captain this season, Jillian originally felt pressure to fill the role that alumni have left; however, she soon realized this pressure was unnecessary as her responsibility is supported by fourteen teammates. She writes, “I rely on my teammates just as much as they rely on me. I’m just the lucky one who gets to be called captain and who communicates for all fourteen of us.”

Despite the challenges of strengthening the team dynamic and communication, Jillian believes the team has the talent, strength, and potential to win DVL and surpass their expectations of what they can become together. Let other schools be warned: “Xavier is no longer a school to be looked over.” Jillian loves the environment of playing at home games and feels honored to be playing for her school. The student body and Vatican fan base are encouraged to keep supporting our sports teams and spreading spirit. Jillian and her teammates appreciate the enthusiasm. Jillian said, “Seeing how excited our student body gets when we play well ultimately makes us want to play even better.” Keep up the good work Saints!